Other Categories In Design
A market town which is situated in Gloucestershire, England and at one time had made the status of borough is Dursley. Dursley had managed to obtain the status of burogh back in 1471, but in 1886 it would be taken away and replaced with the status of Dursley Rural District until 1974 when it was made part of the Stroud District. Furthermore, Dursley is considered to be the second largest town located in the Stroud District.
The oldest church in Dursley is the Parish Church of St. James the Great which can be dated back to the 13th century. Unfortunately in both the 15th and 15th century renovations to the church changed much of the original shape which was only further changed in 1699 when the bell towers collapsed killing several people. After the collapse of the bell tower, the one that is standing today was built in the gothic survival style in 1708.
By 1856, a railway line was ran through Dursley which linked Dursley to the Coaley Junction until 1968 when Coaley Junction was closed for good.
Of the oldest sites of historical importance in Dursley, Uley Bury which was built back in 300 BC is considered to be the oldest. Due to older settlements in the region dating back further, there is also believed that a potential settlement was also in Durley but evidence cannot be found of any.
The town itself sits along the edge of the Cotswold and is surrounded by woodland regions. The River Cam runs through the town before meeting up with the River Severn in the Severn Vale. Upon Stinchcombe Hill there is a magnificent 18 hole golf course which is often played by Hugh Grant.
Throughout the industrial revolution, many large factories were built in Dursley. Of the most famous would be the Lister stationary engines which made their way to all corners of the globe. The factory has since expanded and is still in production under its succession name of Lister-Petter. Unfortunately, the large 92 acre factory that once stood in Dursley has since been torn down and replaced with a housing development through a 2000 acquisition made by the South West Regional Development Agency. There is also several other larger factories and industrial plants in Dursley but most of which have only recently closed their operations down.